Did you know you can easily boost your metabolism just by eating spicy food or doing yoga?
Our metabolisms are not fixed and diet and exercise are a sure fire way to make a big impact. The great part is you don’t have to go to drastic measures. If you’re looking to boost your metabolism and burn extra calories, try a few of these easy tips.
- Drink lots of water. Your body requires water in order to process calories. If you’re even a little bit dehydrated your metabolism can slow down. Plan on drinking a glass of water with every single meal and snack you eat and a few more in between.
- Eat smaller meals more often. If you eat larger meals but spread them out over a long period, your metabolism can slow down in between. Eat a smaller amount every three to four hours to keep your metabolism moving and you’ll end up burning more calories throughout the day.
- Go for some spice. Spicy food gives your boost your metabolism in the short term so why not try cooking with chili peppers more often.
- Eat plenty of protein. Your body has to work harder to digest protein so you burn more calories than you would with fat or carbohydrates. Choose lean proteins like chicken or turkey breast, fish, nuts and eggs.
- Lift weights before cardio. Studies have shown that people who lifted weights for 20 minutes before cycling burned more calories than those who didn’t.
- Practice yoga. One study showed that those who participated in a 50 minute yoga class saw a drop in their level of cortisol, the stress hormone which can stall fat buring.
- Short, intense workouts. If you work out hard for 40 minutes your body can burn calories at a higher rate for up to a day afterwards.