If you want to build strength, lose weight, or even just walk and talk, you have to flex your muscles!
When it comes to losing weight and getting in shape, it’s all about the muscles. Our bodies are amazing and complicated and capable of doing so much, but if your goal is to burn fat and get stronger, then you simply have to flex your muscles.
Our muscles do it all, from pumping our blood to digesting our food and getting us out of bed every morning. It’s important to keep our muscles toned and strong as we’ll feel better, avoid injury as well as recover quicker, and protect our bodies as we age.
Here are some interesting facts that will make you want to flex your muscles.
- We have three types of muscles – skeletal (controlled voluntarily), cardiac and smooth (controlled involuntarily).
- Muscle tissue makes up 35% to 40 % of our total body weight.
- Each muscle fiber is thinner than a human hair and can support 1,000 times its weight.
- Muscle is three times more efficient at burning calories than fat.
- Humans are born with all the muscle tissue we’ll ever have. We can’t grow more but we can make them thicker and stronger.
- If all the muscles in the body could pull in one direction it would create a force of 25 tons!
If you’re looking to start an exercise routine, or just want to improve your current workouts, try a Pogamat. It’s perfect for yoga, pilates, bodyweight workouts, and pretty much anything you want to do to build your muscles.