October 21, 2014
By performing Self-Myofascial Release techniques with a high density foam roller, you can improve flexibility, performance, prevent injuries and relieve muscle tightness and pain.
Fascia is a thin connective tissue that covers every muscle and fiber within each muscle. The fascia and the muscle compose the Myofiscal Unit. When muscle fibers are injured, the fibers and the fascia which surrounds it become short and tight, which can cause pain and tightness in the area around the injury.
Using a foam roller to perform Self-Myofascial Release will help alleviate pain by releasing the uneven tightness in injured fascia. Myofascial Release is also beneficial in the treatment and alleviation of trigger points, or knots, which can lead to further injury.
1. Place hamstrings on the foam roller with hips unsupported.
2. Feet can be crossed so that only leg at a time is one the foam roller.
3. Roll from knee toward posterior hip.
4. If a trigger point is located, stop rolling, and rest on the trigger point until pain decreases.
IT Band Release
1. Position yourself on your side lying on the foam roller.
2. Bottom leg is raised slightly off the floor.
3. Maintain head in neutral position with ears aligned with shoulders.
4. Roll just below hip joint down the outside thigh to the knee.
5. If a trigger point is located, stop rolling, and rest on the trigger point until pain decreases.
Rotator Cuff Release
1. Placing the foam roller under your shoulder blade along where the rotator cuff lies.
2. Using your legs, slowly move your body forward and backward, massaging the shoulder blade region and back of shoulder.
3. If a trigger point is located, stop rolling, and rest on the trigger point until pain decreases.
Your Pogamat is a great place to use your foam roller, as it provides some cushion for your joints while you perform these exercises. Stay posted, we will be offering a foam roller on our website soon!
Comments will be approved before showing up.
September 26, 2017
Do you feel like you are on a mission to lose weight but simply aren’t seeing the results? If you feel that you are successfully implementing a solid exercise routine coupled with a healthy diet and still aren't seeing a change, maybe you are falling short in areas that you didn't even realize were affecting [...]
September 11, 2017
While being disciplined enough or simply having the luxury to get yourself to the gym every day would be ideal, the odds of not missing a single gym day is very low. Perhaps you're juggling a busy work load, a full school schedule, trying to care for your family or you simply do not have [...]
The post Bodyweight Workout Benefits, Best Practices and How-Tos appeared first on Pogamat.
August 29, 2017
Picture this. You are in yoga class and the teacher guides you into a side plank pose known in Sanskrit as Vasisthasana. The class is heated and you feel the sweat pooling beneath your palm. Your supporting hand begins slipping and suddenly you feel your supporting foot beginning to slide off your yoga mat. Your back [...]
The post The Importance of Choosing a High Quality Yoga Mat appeared first on Pogamat.