If you’re pressed for time or don’t want to buy special equipment, a bodyweight workout is a great way to exercise.
Bodyweight workout is the ultimate in low-tech, no frills exercise. You simply use your own bodyweight as a resistance for the workout. This is a great option if you can’t make a big financial commitment to buying equipment or joining a gym. You can do bodyweight exercise anywhere; at home, outside, even in the office. If you’re hoping to lose weight, build muscle, burn fat and increase your strength and stamina, a bodyweight workout is a great place to start.
Some of the other benefits of a bodyweight workout include:
- Efficient workout – doesn’t take hours and no messing around with equipment
- Lots of variation – you won’t get bored because there is an endless variety of exercises you can try
- Convenient – gets rid of the “I don’t have time to go to the gym” excuse. Do you have 10 minutes to do some crunches and lunges? Of course you do!
- Easily combined with cardio – add in some jumping jacks or burpees and you’ll get your heart rate up to.
- Improved core strength – lots of exercises to work out your core muscles, and not just the abs!
An important thing to keep in mind is that because you must do bodyweight exercises properly and with the correct form or else you risk injury. It’s a good idea to watch some instructional videos online or enlist the help of someone knowledgeable so you can be sure you’re doing the exercises correctly.
Here are a few tried and true bodyweight exercises that you can easily incorporate into your workout.
- Pull up/chin up
This is also a great way to workout with a partner, which can help keep you motivated. In Colorado we’re lucky to have great weather and lots of sunshine, so you have plenty of opportunities to take your bodyweight workout outdoors. And if you use a Pogamat, it provides a safe, stable and comfortable surface for all your exercises.